The summer business startup programme aimed at young people within Worcestershire. Each person will be supported over a ten week period to start their business with a range of support tailored to ensure they have the skills and knowledge to take advantage of the opportunities.
The programme will support 50 startups per year.
The impact for each delegate will be:
- Developing skills in techniques to start a business
- Creating a knowledge base of resources available
- Creation of a plan to launch their idea
- Validating their idea with retail opportunities
- Creating an action plan to leverage opportunities within the county
The aim of the programme is to create a local environment in which Worcestershire entrepreneurs can access the knowledge, skills and local professional networks that they need to transform a business idea into reality. By targeting our support at these early stages, we hope that more start-up businesses will establish a solid basis from which to grow and therefore have a more positive and lasting impact within our Worcestershire community.
Start Date: Monday 19th June 2017
End Date: Friday 25th August 2017
Location: City Campus, University of Worcester,Worcester, WR13AS
First Week Bootcamp Schedule
These run 9am until 5pm every day for the first week of the bootcamp.
Bookkeeping / Banking
Tax / HMRC
On successful completion of the module, you should be able to:
|1) Understand the processes for generating innovative business ideas and the role of innovation.
2) Undertake market research and formulate a marketing plan for a business idea and critically reflect upon the research findings.
3) Develop a strategy for accessing the key resources and capabilities needed to launch the business idea.
|4) Understand how to set-up and run a small enterprise using innovation to overcome resource constraints.
5) Understand the legal and ethical responsibilities and statutory duties of business owners
6) Evaluate the resource requirements of a small business
7) Develop a draft investment-ready business plan and critically analyse key business risks
|8) Analyse financial figures and understand how to implement basic management accounting techniques.
9) Utilise and apply book-keeping and ledger accounting techniques to draw up accounts in accordance with required format.
10) Analyse the financial needs of an enterprise and the potential sources of funding
|11) Critically analyse the external market and resource-based internal environmental context and applying analytical frameworks.
12) Understand the difference between strategy, tactics, and operations for both offline marketplaces and the online/virtual space.
13) Critically evaluate and prioritise strategic options to identify the most effective opportunities for a given organisation in a set context.
14)Formulate and enact a concise marketing strategy for the on and off line marketplace/space.
|15) Understand the process of conducting a successful sales interaction within your industry.
16) Develop an elevator pitch and demonstrate effective presentation and report writing skills.
17) Demonstrate a clear understanding of the business to business/customer sales process.
18) Evaluate and develop the need for account/key account management within the sales team and how these resources are to be deployed
If you are interested then please complete:
Startup Bootcamp Further Details
Founders’ Thursdays is a monthly networking event where Entrepreneurs can share lunch with other entrepreneurs and find out more about the highs, and lows, of life in a new business.
These are held each month and 2 founders from the local community, and beyond, are invited to give a short talk on their personal journey from business idea to real business followed by an informal Q&A session with the audience.
- A social event whereby entrepreneurs meet successful local entrepreneurs
- Creates a network of experts and entrepreneurs
- Meet likeminded people and enterprising individuals
- Ability to share news about other workshops, seminars and networking events all supporting enterprise and entrepreneurship
1-2-1 Business Clinic
These are individual sessions held with professionals, such as Accountants, Solicitors, IP Specialists, Banking, Company Tax, Companies House, HMRC, …etc. to develop the delegate and their business. Each session is 45 minutes.
The support from an impartial expert for the entrepreneur is a way of learning from a different source whilst gaining advice and support in this monthly session. The core benefits for the delegate are:
- Provides impartial advice and encouragement
- Develops a supportive relationship
- Assists with problem solving
- Improves self-confidence
- Offers professional development
- Encourages reflection on practice
All mentoring session provide a set of outcomes which the delegate should act on. All mentors are provided with training to ensure we provide global best practice. Mentoring will be offered for one year.
At least three skills development workshops will be run during the programme and will be tailored to the needs of the delegates. These may include:
- Social Media
- Sales Techniques
- Presentation Skills
- Company Accounts
Each session is between 45-90 minutes. Additional skills workshops will be offered throughout the year to support the growth of the entrepreneur.
To develop a culture of continuous learning we ensure each delegate reviews two books from the reading list and shares this learning with the group. This is done through a communal blog and also in group discussions and events.
This is a very powerful way of developing a daily reflective session for the entrepreneur and ensure they study themselves, the business and the stakeholders to learn how to manage the situations and pathway forward in a positive way. The delegate is expected to provide five entries per week. The journal is reviewed each week to ensure that each aspect of the delegate is moving forward and support can be provided where necessary. This is an online journal.
This project is supported by: